Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Garlicky Light Pasta with Swiss Chard and Red Onions

I love, love, LOVE pasta.  It's so versatile and simple to make.  I got swiss chard and a giant red onion in my CSA share so this was my favorite way of incorporating it into a meal.


Garlicky Light Pasta with Swiss Chard and Red Onions

Ingredients

  • Pasta of your choice (I used bowties)
  • 5-8 stalks of swiss chard (chopped, leaves discarded)
  • 1/3 of a red onion (chopped)
Seasoning/Dressing
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Olive oil
  • Garlic powder
I used my large sauté pan with the deep sides and a 4-qt pot for this.  For the sauté pan, I filled it with 1-2 inches of water and brought that to a boil.  This was for the swiss chard.  In my pot, I filled it up and boiled water for the pasta.

To prep the chard, wash it thoroughly and then arrange the stalks in a bundle.  Then, you can easily chop it into small pieces.  I made the pieces probably 1/8 of an inch thick since I like my chard very small.  Chop it close to where the leafy greens start.  If you like having the fronds of the chard, feel free to keep that for another dish.  For the purpose of the pasta, the idea is to have the crisp chard bits scattered throughout.

As you boil the chard and the pasta, you can cut up the onion.  I had a huge red onion so I only used about 1/4 of it but for a regular, medium-size, you can probably use 1/3 of it.  I love using onions with my pasta whether it's plain or in pasta sauce.

At this point, you can drain your pasta and leave it to the side.  For the chard, drain it over a strainer and then you can throw it back into the sauté pan.  Drizzle some olive oil and get it sizzling before adding in your onions.  Then, season it with salt and pepper.  After 10 minutes in the pan, add in your pasta and mix it well.  I sprinkle a generous amount of garlic powder now since the pasta will taste really plain otherwise.  Feel free to adjust the amount of olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.  I generally just use a couple tablespoons of oil so that it coats the pasta lightly.

Now, you're all done! You can plate it, add some parmesan or parsley on top and you've got a meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment