Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Chicken Pasta Salad

So, despite my intention for using the other fresh veggies from my CSA share, I was unable to use them soon enough!  Fresh veggies from the farm are definitely different from supermarket veggies.  A lot of the items I had wilted or dried up sooner than I anticipated.  I am also at fault for putting off using them though.

I made a poor choice in choose to have a pasta salad for lunch today when it's so much cooler out and the a/c is still blasting in the office. (Brr!) This would've been awesome for a hot, hot day.

Nonetheless, it is still delicious.


Chicken Pasta Salad

Ingredients:

  • Can of chicken in water (mine was Kirkland/Costco brand)
  • Pasta (I chose penne rigate)
  • Onion
  • Scallions
  • Mayo
  • Salt & pepper
  • Garlic powder
Prepping is quite simple.  Set the water to boil the pasta. And chop up the onions to a smaller size and chop your scallions.  Mine were already cut up previously.  I am so glad I chopped up the scallions when I got them fresh from the farm.  So crisp and delicious!  I only used about half of a stalk of scallion for this dish, mostly just to garnish.

After your pasta is cooked, set it aside.  I love to precook a half box of pasta and save extra to speed up cooking for other things.

For the chicken, open up the can and drain most of the water out of it.  I only reserved a few spoonfuls of it to flavor the dressing.  Use a spoon or fork to chop up the chunks and get it looser/stringy.  This is usually the texture I like for plain chicken salad too.  Then I put the chicken with the little bit of water in a container, added a little more than the same amount of pasta.  So my chicken to pasta ratio is probably around 4:6.  Then I threw in the chopped onion and scallions and sprinkled salt and pepper.  Threw in two spoonfuls of mayo, some garlic powder and mixed it all up.

Set in the fridge and voila.  A great premade lunch for the next day.  Mm!

No comments:

Post a Comment