Friday, October 11, 2013

What's in Your Kitchen?: The College Cook, Part 1

Welcome to Edible Culture's mini-series: What's in Your Kitchen?

I thought I'd set out and break down what kind of tools I started with as a college student and items I've added as I've grown as a home chef.  Keep in mind that everyone is comfortable with different things and everyone needs different tools to run an efficient kitchen.

Today, I'd like to start with...

The College Cook

As a young adult and someone who is balancing classes, activities, studying, and eating healthy, cooking while being a college student is a luxury.  Most people probably envision microwaving ramen and popcorn as the most a college cook would do.  Let's break the list down into two sections, dorm life and apartment living.  Today, we'll cover dorm life!


Essentials for dorm life:
  • Microwave
  • Mini-fridge
  • A medium-sized bowl (ceramic or plastic)
  • A large plate (ceramic or plastic)
  • A few tupperware containers (Rubbermaid)
  • A mug or tumbler
  • At least two spoons, forks, knives (metal for durability)
  • A kitchen towel
  • An electric hot water kettle (I use this Proctor Silex one)
  • A small bottle of dish detergent and a sponge
  • Coffee maker
  • A kitchen utility/santoku knife
Extras

  • Another set of bowl, plate, and mug for friends/visitors
  • A slow-cooker
  • A rice cooker
  • Wooden spatula


With this list, dorm life is much better than living without and only having campus food or takeout.  Many dorms limit the types of cooking accessories that you're allowed (no hot plates, slow-cookers, etc) for safety reasons.

Microfridges are a good investment (renting or buying) since it would cost just as much to buy a microwave and fridge separately.  Also, some campuses will not allow a microwave of your choice due to power usage, so you'd be left with only a microfridge option anyway.  Microwaves are truly, incredibly versatile when it comes to cooking in a dorm.  You can heat up water, ramen, popcorn, leftover takeout, etc.  Fridges are great to keep a cool drink on hand or to save up leftovers and fruits.

In terms of utensils, I also had wooden chopsticks to eat my ramen with.  I kept two sets of utensils so that if I used one, I could still be lazy and not wash it until I used the other.  It was also good for sharing a meal with friends.  I collected plastic utensils from the campus center in case I ever needed more.  It's also great to stock up on napkins from the campus center or dining halls as well.  Having buttery popcorn in your room will always warrant paper towels and napkins.  Also, if your takeout doesn't have enough, you'll be stocked.

I'm not a coffee person so I only had an electric kettle.  I used it to boil water for my ramen and to make hot chocolate or tea when I got sick.  Electric kettles are quick to heat so you can have hot water ready in less than ten minutes.

Having a decent kitchen knife is good for cutting up fruits or other things.  Mostly for fruits.  Sometimes, you can get away with just having a good steak knife or a paring knife.

No comments:

Post a Comment