Sunday, July 14, 2013

Community Support Agriculture (CSA) - Simple Salad with Olive Oil

So, being the adult that I am, I ponied up some bucks for a share of my local farm's CSA program.  I should've taken a picture of the box of veggies I received for the first week but it's great so far!  The items I got were: corn, lettuce, scallions, beets, cucumber, squash, swiss chard, and fennel.  Now, I'm not really a green veggie person, but getting this box forced me to learn how to make new things and try new things, like chard and fennel.

The first thing I did with the veggies--I decided to make a simple salad out of the lettuce I had.

Ingredients:

  • lettuce (I had two kinds so I mixed both)
  • 1/4 of a sweet onion
Dressing:
  • olive oil
  • garlic powder
  • salt & pepper
  • basil (dried seasoning)
A very quick fix!  I washed and rinsed the lettuce thoroughly before chopping it up.  Then, sliced the onion into smaller slices.  Tossed and let sit.  For the dressing, I literally dumped all of the seasonings right into the olive oil and mixed well.  If you know what your taste buds like, you'll put just enough of each seasoning (pinches, really) to taste.  I love garlic powder so I added more of that than anything else.  Once it was mixed in with the salad (chilled), it made a perfect lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment