Friday, January 23, 2015

Noodle Strainers

Understandably, most people use colanders for pasta, but Asians mostly use strainers for the noodles.  The fine mesh gets rid of water quickly and the design of a great noodle strainer is there to help you out in the kitchen.  I recently got a strainer like they use in ramen restaurants.  It's super useful!


It's a deeper strainer with a hook to latch your strainer to the pot.  Oftentimes, a strainer that is not as deep means that the water won't sufficient cover the noodles and consequently, the noodles don't get cooked well.  With this deeper strainer, you may need a slightly taller pot, but it keeps the noodles swimming in the water and it allows the noodles room to move.  I drop one or two portions of noodles into it (I find you shouldn't do more than two portions or else it's too full), hook it on the pot, and work on the rest of my ingredients while the noodles cook.  I used to not even use a strainer when cooking.  I'd just slowly fish out the noodles to a bowl and hope that I got all of it out of the pot.  With this, I've been cooking noodles and easily tossing the perfect portion right into the bowl when ready.  Add soup or sauce and meat and veggies and you have an awesome bowl of noodles ready to eat!

Get it from Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment