Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Mapo Tofu


The picture isn't that great, but at least you can see the mix of pork, tofu, and scallions. This is one of many attempts at making the famous Mapo Tofu. I'm not a fan of spicy foods, but this one grew on me. After simply looking up different recipes online and comparing ingredients, I've been making this dish quite confidently now.

Ingredients:
- about 1.5 lbs ground pork
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- a good handful of chopped scallion
- one package of tofu, multi-use or firm

For the sauce, I've read many styles of making it. I was a little overwhelmed by the spiciness of prepackaged sauce packets so when I used them, I watered it down a little and add some corn starch to thicken it back up. Nowadays, I use Lee Kum Kee's Chili Bean Sauce (toban jian).

First, fill the pan with vegetable oil and wait for it to heat. When it is hot enough to make water fizzle, add in the chopped shallots and fry until brown around the edges. While you're waiting for the pork, you can start draining the tofu and slicing it up into cubes. Add in the meat and cook until there is no more pink. Once the pork is cooked, throw in the garlic and stir-fry until the pork gets golden brown. Add in scallions and stir-fry slightly. Add in the tofu cubes and two tablespoons of sauce. Mix well but be gentle enough not to break all the tofu up. Let it bubble for a few minutes if you really want the sauce to soak into the meat and tofu before plating and serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment